Saturday, January 1, 2011

At last...the baby blanket reveal!

So, I'm REALLY not a seamstress, but I've been inspired lately to create some really personalized gifts. With my new nephew coming, and a pile of about 15 reaceiving blankets accumulated from Gavin, Cooper, and cousins Addie & Avery, I went on a hunt for something I could make for my new baby nephew/niece. My baby sister Melissa (Melba), as the youngest of 3 has always had hand-me-downs in her wardrobe, so when I saw this tutorial on Green Apple Orchard I knew it was the perfect way to turn the hand-me-downs into something perfect for the newest baby cousin.
I won't give you the full step-by-step, as the blog tutorial explains it so much better than I could, but here are some pics along the way. Here are the 6 blankets i started with:



The hardest step was deciding which order to put all the squares in, just finally had to stop rearranging it or I would have never finished it in time.



I really don't know much about my sewing machine, so I had to read the manual to make sure the settings were right for flannel, and I still think I should have used a stronger stitch or thread, as some of them broke when it went through the wash. It is pretty dumby-proof though, just lots of sewing squares together.



For the back side, I just bought some green & brown that matched all the blankets & will match (hopefully) the green & brown nursery! After all the stitching was done, it was about 4 hours of snipping & a lot of hand-cramping.



Melba & Doron on christmas day, just 2 days before baby Micah Paul Jones arrived.




Happy Birthday Micah!

No comments:

Post a Comment